SCHOLA LINGÆ ROMANÆ

I have recently realised that I write many parts of this in Latin, but I have never given instruction to
my readership on how to read Latin. So I'm starting a lesson plan. We'll start off reeeeeal easy now.

CAPITVLVM VNVM (Lesson one)

Verbs: They are inflected, like in Spanish, and in written French. That is to say, you change the end
of the verb stem to indicate I, he, her, they, we, and you. The verb love looks like this:

EnglishLatine
I loveamō
you love amās
he/she/it lovesamat
we loveamāmus
you all loveamātis
they loveamant


Note that even English inflicts the he loves form, so inflection isn't totally foreign to us. English requires
the I's, you's, and he's, and we's, but Latin does not. It is encoded in the end of the verb.

Nouns: Nouns are trickier. They have more cases than English has. To explain cases, I defer to English, which
has a vestige of its old case system. Note that there is I vs me and he vs him,
and a very few other examples, but there is no comparative forms for man, dog, child, house, etc. There used to be in English,
but they are long gone now. We are only left with some vestigial two-case pronouns.

We'll look at two cases for now (there are 7 of them in Latin). The first is called the nominative. This is like the English I.
The second is called the accusative. This is like the English me. Our example word will be girl. It looks like
this in Latin:
Nominative singular: puella
Nominative plural: puellæ
Accusative singular: puellam
Accusative plural: puellās

The nominative is what you might recall from grammar school as the Subject. The accusative is the Object. Simplistically, the nominative
is the "doer" a sentence, the accusative is the recipient of the the doer's actions.

Putting nouns and verbs together: Word order is less important because we have these case markers and verb inflections. To say
"I love the girl" in Latin, we need to recognise that "I" is the nominative, the subject, the "doer", the lover. And girl is the accusative,
the recipient of love. Both of these forms are valid:
puellam amō.
amō puellam.

Note that I ommited the "I" since it is encoded in the inflected form of the verb.

That's it for today! I hope this was easy enough. Each lesson will be super simple. Email me any questions at the usual address.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)