Dismissus sum

I got my first rejection letter from a publisher. It doesn't seem that glamourous, so I won't scan it and put it on display. I've moved on to the next publication in my list. It was a pretty rapid rejection, just 10 days.

As disappointed as I am, I can't help but think that if my first story were accepted, it would go straight to my head (not that that would have necessarily been a bad thing). I need to feel the burn, to keep the creative energy flowing. Right? Any other starving artists out there want to back me up? (I'm only starving artistically, not literally, so please, don't send canned goods)

2 Comments:

At 9/27/04, 7:46 AM, Blogger Les said...

You should feel proud of yourself, actually. Very few people ever get even as far as a rejection letter. Be sure to submit the story to the next magazine on your list. A lot of folks stop trying at the first rejection letter (alas, that is my story).

Sorry you feel like a metaphorically starving artist. I'm playing at an open mic night tomorrow night. Do they have things like that for prose?

15 acoustic guitarists and me with a laptop . . .

 
At 9/27/04, 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get them all the time, I could wall paper an outhouse with them! ;-) I am to where it doesn't phase me much. As Celeste says, it just means you are out there. And there are all kind of the usual corny examples like when I went to the Jack London museum they had some of his on the wall.

Just go down the line and submit it elsewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)