DE LIBERIS: INAVRES ET CASTULAE

The continuing saga of my musing on the trials and tribulations of raising hypothetical children. Today I discuss two very arcane issues.

Earrings:(inaures) These came up one night when the wife and I were chatting. When she was a little girl, her mother set a hard and fast rule of no earrings until thirteen years of age. In my household, the girls were pierced as soon has they could toddle. Huge difference here. Right now I think that if the kid is old enough to ask in coherent English (or any language, for that matter) to have their ears pierced, so be it. Lest there be any doute1, this applies to any male offspring as well.

Kilts:(castulae hibernienses) The wife has said she would like to forbid kilts in the household amongst the protected minorities. I disagree. Any girls or boys we have should be allowed to wear garments appropriate to their gender. This means pants and skirts for girls and slacks and kilts for boys. If they want to, that is. As the wife correctly points out, they aren't going to want to wear anything that I saunter about in, especially once they hit their pubescent years.

1 The word 'doubt' as you all know, does not have, nor did it ever, have a 'b' sound. Thus my spelling minor reform to reflect something more sane.

8 Comments:

At 9/3/05, 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Mom wouldn't allow the earrings either. Dunno why. But this was the 70's, nothing much made sense.

-Carol

 
At 9/3/05, 12:38 PM, Blogger Les said...

appropriate to their gender?

bah, let them wear whatever they want.

on the other hand, your boys may be irreparably harmed by seeing you in a kilt. you should probably consult pat robertson or dr dobson for some advice on this.

http://www.family.org/resources/itempg.cfm?itemid=2576

 
At 9/4/05, 7:47 AM, Blogger Crinis said...

You've gotten ahead of the discussion les. I've got a frothy rant about religion coming up in the third or fourth installment. In meantime, all you have to know is that I will consult those pathetic bloodthirsty cowards when hell freezes over!

 
At 9/4/05, 6:15 PM, Blogger Les said...

what is the reasoning, if not religious, to prevent your children from cross-dressing or seeing (what they might perceive as) cross-dressing adults?

Even if you make your daughter wear a skirt every day for years, you've got no guarantees of straightness.

 
At 9/4/05, 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know apparently this generation right after you guys, the "eco generation" or something like that, aren't rebellious at all. They are the counter to the self absorbed baby boomers, love their parents, are team oriented. Anyways, so maybe you can all just
weat kilts.

-carol

 
At 9/5/05, 8:00 PM, Blogger Crinis said...

Les, I have a rant about conveying culture to my children as well. The facetiousness of this discussion is clearly underappreciated. I fully understand that people are born into this world with their own personality and they will become their own people. You imply that I care if they become straight. I do not, if fact, have such a care. However, it is worthy of its own chapter in the DE LIBERIS series, thanks for pointing that out. (If they choose to crossdress, not dress, or underdress, I am not obligated to approve, but I must _try_ to understand.)

No way, Carol. It must an error in the data. No teenagers ever in history have not rebeled against their parents. The ecogen must just be late bloomers, is all.

 
At 9/6/05, 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was this 60 minutes thing, they had sociologists on and did a focus group of the teens. They aren't as self absorbed that is for sure. The rebellion well...there is no law. I mean my parents were liberals stuff like that, I didn't go Alex Keaton. So it's hard to say. I will see if there are links about it.

-Carol

 
At 9/8/05, 1:58 PM, Blogger Les said...

I think you're missing my point . . .

When you speak of cross-dressing it seems to me that you are attempting to control your (hypothetical) children's gender expression. If you don't care if they turn out queer, then WHY would you want them to not act/dress queer? And why would you try to shield them from queer (seeming) role models?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)