Tempestas II

"The Tempest" has been a source of material for English authors for four hundred years. Here's a sampling of what Shakespeare has said and was later coined into the popular parlance.

"Nature vs Nurture" - A popular (false) dichotomy currently raging in the sciences
PROSPERO
A devil, a born devil, on whose nature
Nurture can never stick; on whom my pains,
Humanely taken, all, all lost, quite lost;
Act 4, Scene I

Sea Change - a profound transformation
ARIEL
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Act I, Scene 2

"Well-demanded wenches" (not yet current, but I'm working on it)
PROSPERO
Well demanded, wench:
My tale provokes that question.
Act I, Scene 2

"Brave New World" - A great work of literature by Aldous Huxley
MIRANDA
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!
Act 5, Scene 1

That's all I can find for now. Feel free to help me spread "well-demanded wenches" farther abroad. I hope to have more success with this one than I did making "to fume" synonomous with "to smoke". :-)

3 Comments:

At 10/28/05, 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know brave meant "handsome" or like good looking in those days, not brave as we think now. Miranda was looking at people for the first time and saying they were good looking!
But I think it's fair to use it the other way, shows how poetry is more about how it's read than the words itself.

-Carol

 
At 10/28/05, 5:50 PM, Blogger Crinis said...

Don't doute that Huxley didn't know that. I think the ambiguity in "Brave New World", a bold world, a handsome world, and an ordered world, all played on the myriad meanings of brave.

Actually, I've been meaning to blog about BNW for a different reason, and this reminds of that.

 
At 10/30/05, 3:15 PM, Blogger Les said...

Speaking of distopian novels and "to fume," in your favorite language, Esperanto, to smoke is "fumi" which is as close as you can get to "to fume" within the rules of that language.

You're more likely to get this to catch on among people who speak romance languages.

Je ne fume jamais parse-que je deteste Jesse HELMS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)