DE LIBERIS: ANIMALIA II ET CIBVS

On children: When the the muse speaks, I must obey (or drink, same difference). Pet and food. Pets or food. What to do with that adorable bunny rabbit? Whack!
Part I: INCEPTVM
Part II: INAVRES ET CASTVLAE
Part III: TELEVISIO ET LVSVS COMPVTATRALIS
Part IV: LVSVS ET VINA
Part V: GENERA ET ANIMALIA

Pets, again(animalia iterum): OK, you ask, what about the studies that show kids who grew up with pets have healthier immune systems and fewer allergies? I suffered from lots of allergies growing up, allergies to cats, rabbits, pollen, but especially cats (did I mention cats, yet?). It did jack for me. Maybe it was because they were outdoor pets. Who knows? I read a lot of Science News. I know what these studies are saying. They're not saying much. It also is negated by the fact that pet households have more dust and dander, factors which have been shown in studies to inhibit proper immune development. So to hell with the studies. Besides, our neighbours will have pets. I'll let the children play with their varmints.

Diet(cibus): I'm a vegetarian, but I occasionally eat fish. And the wife is vegetarian through and through. The plan is to raise our children as vegetarians, as well. But what happens when my nefarious relatives try to slip them meat? What's a parent to do? Worse yet, what happens when the children want to eat meat, but we're not cooking it?
First off, we eat well. I mean really well. If they ever need meat to supplement the variety in their diet, the wife and I should just kill ourselves for being inattentive parents. Second, should they actually ever get meat past our meat radar, there's not much we can do. They're people, right? They make their own decisions. So long as they have their own meat dishes, their own meat oven, and they cook it all themselves, let'em have it! Oh, and my relatives will forfit their visitation rights if they're implicated in the meatatarian habits of my children.

5 Comments:

At 1/9/06, 2:55 AM, Blogger Les said...

What have you got against puppies?

I felt like the most deprived child on earth before I had a dog. My parents lived in the burbs. They had no excuse. Then they finally caved and the whole household was happier. Pets reduce stress.

 
At 1/9/06, 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I differ on the pet thing, for one thing take me, I wasn't allergic in my youth, when we had cats, then as I aged and was away from them I develped an allergy to cats. Now I am fine again cause I found a cat I am not allergic too, and he is cool to be around.

-carol

 
At 1/10/06, 3:32 PM, Blogger Christine said...

since when were children in the pic? :) I always thought you'd get a cat before a kid.

 
At 1/10/06, 9:49 PM, Blogger Crinis said...

Maybe 'kid' is just a metaphor for 'cat'. Or not. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the vegetarian discussion wasn't contraversial, just the pet thing. Pets add stress, especially my neighbours pet, especially when they bark at 3am, 4am, 5am, and 6am.

 
At 1/11/06, 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The veggie thing would be no problem or could be tough, depends on the kid I would think. If you get a rebel he/she may just want meat no matter what. Or you could get a nice easy going kid and they will be fine.I mean in the whole nature/nurture argument I go with nature first and then the nuture modifies *to a degree* but they come into the world a certain way.

-Carol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)