Satan Strikes Again!

Some conservative fascists in a podunk town in Colorado are upset because an arts education class exposed some young children to, wait for it because it's rather shocking, disturbing even, down-right Satanic, ... "Faust".

Yes, that immortal tale of where Dr Faust sells his soul to Mephistopheles in exchange for youth, power, and glory frightened the parents of some hicks in Colorado (not to self: NEVER move to this state. Take head from all the wonderful people I know who have moved away and not expressed any desire to go back).

Parents reviled it, stating that it "glorifies Satan in some way." Yes, you know, that way where Satan is made out to be the bad guy and how Dr Faust is left to regret his decision as the devil takes him to eternal torment in hell. Some glorification. Sheesh. Remind me never to let Goeth write a 'glory' play about me, 'cause I don't want to be remembered as being foolhearty enough to condemn my soul to eternal damnation. I really thought that people were only this stupid on Oprah, but I have been proved wrong once again by humanity's infinite stupidity.

Tresa Waggoner, the hapless arts teacher who thought she was doing the children of this small-town (and small-minded) community a favour, apologised, saying, "I was definitely not sensitive to the conservative nature of the community". No Tresa, it ain't you, really. The vast majority of the world understands that A) Faust does not glorify Satan B) "Conservative Community" is just a happy euphomism for "shit-for-brains inbreds" C) Art IS Contraversial.

On this last point, I actually think Tresa deserves some kudos for jarring these knuckle-headed parents out of their white-bred, white-washed world and exposing their own insecurities. An unexamined life is not one worth living. The world IS full of tempation, even for fourth-graders. Art is meant to please AS WELL AS to disrupt; the Sistine chapel's ceiling is highly contraversial, even today.

If I've been harsh in this review, it's only because my well of contempt for the morons of Bennett, Colorado runs deep. If they weren't such idiots, I wouldn't need to be so damning.

2 Comments:

At 2/6/06, 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah it's sad, and they don' t bother to get the message, in fact Conservatives should love it cause part of what inspired the making of it was the growth of science at that time, it was felt it was "a deal with the devil" and the ironic thing is these people will love the bible with all it's incest, violence and other juicy stuff.

Carol

 
At 2/6/06, 10:03 PM, Blogger Christine said...

for the record, about 200 miles and a hefty mountain range stands between where I grew up and Bennett. I love my side of Colorado!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)