Ch-ch-ch-changes

Since I've been back, I've found myself to be a tad more critical. I don't know if the critique circle had anything to do with it. Actually, I do know that it had a lot to do with it. I just don't hold back what I have to say anymore.

Pre-Clarion, I didn't tend to offer up my real opinion, often couching it in hidden terms. One-minute-thirty has broken me of that. There's no time to weasel around the issue. If I have an opinion, I belt it!

This is has been mostly for the worse (not for me, for other people). I screamed "fuck you!" at a car tonight as it nearly ran me down (note to New Yorkers: this is not only unlike me, it's unlike most people I know. And it's very unproductive. I should have gotten their plates :-)

I told my friend rather frankly what I felt what best for his kid. Not that I'm a parent, but dang do I have an opinion about what schools he should be attending. I told one of my relations that I thought they were a total idiot for their car-purchasing choice. There's more examples, but I can't quite figure out how to write them without revealing what I said to whom (and I'd rather not totally embarass myself).

So you see, it's mostly just me ranting at people. It's undirected critique. I need to focus this energy on not just expressing my unabashed opinion, but on opinions that are worth expressing.

Which I guess is what changed. I used to think that nobody would care what I thought, or that they wouldn't like me as much if I told them what I think. After six weeks of telling my 21 best friends what I thought (and it wasn't always pretty), they still went dancing and drinking with me on Friday nights. I'm confident now that what I say doesn't matter as much as I used to think it did :-)

5 Comments:

At 8/9/06, 6:42 AM, Blogger Steve said...

You're my hero, Vince! What do you think of THAT?!

Life's a lot more interesting when you tell people what you think rather than what they want to hear. I'm still working on it, but Clarion definitely helped!

 
At 8/9/06, 10:31 AM, Blogger jenny said...

hmmm...i've been noticing the same thing about myself, but don't have such a good explanation as to the cause...maybe just hanging out with blunt/outspoken people is finally starting to rub off on me :)

welcome back!

 
At 8/9/06, 11:46 AM, Anonymous Alex said...

Opposite problem for me. I find myself going out of my way to avoid stating an opinion, even when asked. Maybe that's part of the overall exhaustion.

 
At 8/9/06, 11:59 AM, Blogger SummerofPlays said...

but who cares what I think?

That's interesting, in my playwriting classes we have had critique circles with different approaches. Sometimes it had to be bridled simply cause of time (some blow hards will go on and on if you let them...) One only let us put short notes in writing so we could go on to the plays.

I can get cranky in reverse, more cranky at the comments than the play itself.

 
At 8/10/06, 8:41 AM, Blogger Crinis said...

I haven't done anything heroic with my anti-superpower yet. Hopefully I'll be worthy of being somebody's hero one day.

The other problem I'm facing is that I'm swearing a lot more. Circle time ruined me for the real world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)