Linux Props

I am Teh Geek! I got wireless working on my Debian distro of Linux, on my laptop! As I write this inane entry, I am doing so from Linux over wifi.

You know, I should probably be working or writing or something, anything more productive--picking toe lint comes to mind. But this feels soooo good. I am one big step away from moving away from Redmond altogether.

The next major hurdle is to move all my data to where it has read-write access via Windows and Linux (for the dual boot). NTFS isn't writeable by Linux, which is a shame. The only thing I can think of is to create a FAT32 shared partition. But disk space is limited. What to do, what to do?

3 Comments:

At 8/10/06, 2:43 AM, Blogger Pakitt said...

I have read recently, but I don't remember where, that NTFS read-write capability has been implemented on Linux - have a look around on the net. Another way to share stuff is, yes, a FAT32 partition... another way is to use VMWare and emulate Windows and do a network share - do you really want to leave all that space to windows on your HDD?!?!?... ;-)
What about an external HDD (the 2.5" small ones?)

P- (happily using OS X).

 
At 8/10/06, 10:18 AM, Blogger Crinis said...

According the Linux NTFS project's website, their implementation is unreliable. I can't have that. I'd love to hose WinXP altogether, but I'm not ready for that. Currently I have a USB thumb drive that houses all my data. It's slow, though. I'd like something faster. My worry with the FAT32 partition is that it will screw up all my mount points, and that will just annoy me to high heaven as I try to reassemble the boot loader.

 
At 8/11/06, 11:58 AM, Blogger Crinis said...

I lucked out. I created a 5 Gb FAT32 partition at the end of the NTFS section. I didn't have to roll it into the extended partition, so my Linux partition assignments didn't change. Too cool. Problem solved.

Then I wrote a script to automatically connect me to the wifi when I'm at home.

Then I figured out how to disable those damn taps on the Synaptics mouse.

I'm running out of reasons to continue to use WinXP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)