Saturday nights

Last Saturday was the eighth one in a row where I didn't sleep in my own bed. After Clarion, I've been running around the west to various gigs, and always kept away from a quiet night at home.

This past weekend we were in Portland, OR, where we watched one of Tammy's childhood friends graduate PSU. They had a great outdoor ceremony in the shade of the parks' trees. Afterwards we all caught up over lunch. Goods times.

Then of course Tammy and I blew threw lots of hard-earned cash at Powell's City of Books. We visited nearly every Powell's location, including their Textbook and Home and Garden stores. But the used book location was by far the best.

For those of you who may have known me in high school, you might recall that I once visited UCSD with a buddy named Ti. Well, instead of visiting the campus, we got lost in the La Jolla foothills and wound up wandering around in the bush for several hours before finding downtown and a major road with a bus route.

The only reason I mention this is because Tammy and I managed to do the same thing yesterday before our flight. Only it was the Portland hills. We went in search of a park and instead found long roads leading to nowhere with towering, desolate mansions. Then we walked several miles along twisty, narrow streets, just trying to find an outlet to a major thoroughfare (think Oakland/Berkeley hills). We foraged on wild berries and crab apples while the sun baked our necks and foreheads.

We eventually found a staircase down from the hill, through what looked like a lost scene from Jurassic Park. It dumped us right above the freeway, and we could finally get back to downtown Portland. I went straight to an Irish pub. Guiness had never tasted so good. Good times.

3 Comments:

At 8/22/06, 10:28 AM, Blogger SummerofPlays said...

You know i did the same thing in Portland when I was looking for the Rose Garden, got completely lost there.

 
At 8/22/06, 5:42 PM, Blogger Crinis said...

Get out, Carol! That's the exact park we were looking for!!!

 
At 8/24/06, 10:31 AM, Blogger SummerofPlays said...

wild huh? the maps must be universally vague or something. I did love it once I found it, even had a harp playing that day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)