Writing and Geeking

On writing:

"The Circle of Lands" is finally presentable. If you are interested in critiquing it, please contact me off-blog. It's about 7900 words. I've been re-reading it too much lately. As much as I like it, I hope I don't have to come back to it for a while.

On being a geek:

I am one of the few people who gets excited when he sees "Hard Drive Failure" flash across his server's screen. You see, since I had set up a RAID (Level 1 for those who know what the hell I'm talking about), I didn't have anything to worry about. In fact, I used it as an excuse to upgrade the hard drives and OS on my server. Things are running quite well again.

But I had forgotten to do one thing: back up my MediaWiki-based website. I had all the data, but I had a bitch of a time trying to re-import the MySQL database into the new server. Well, I finally succeeded. It required that I trick MySQL into using the old database location, dumping the database to file, restarting MySQL with the new database location, and then treating it like a restore from backup. I am Teh Geek!

Crinis Villa Dot Com is back online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)