Of weddings


I married my sister-in-law. Or, I wrote, prepared, and delivered the officiant's speech and requisite duties for the marriage of my sister-in-law to her fiancé.

I consider this penance for my own wedding which consisted of a short, beautiful five-minute ceremony at the courthouse following by photos in the Japanese garden. Too tasteful. My family feels I need to experience a full-blown American wedding.

(cf. "One Perfect Day," by Margaret Meade. Just finished reading it. All your wedding are belong to us.)

I borrowed heavily from the ceremony I gave last year for my longtime Cal Band friend and her wonderful husband. Everybody said I did a good job the first time, so word got around (I don't know how).

I feel good about Marriage, Part Trois. I didn't screw up the license this time, either.

It was a lot of work, though, and took time out of my creative-writing cycle. Part of what makes weddings with a friend/family-member as the officiant special is the amount of customization in the ceremony. I interviewed the couple to learn about how they met. The signature item of my ceremonies is a short narration telling how it was that the couple came to fall in love (often fictionalized :-) But I'm expensive, I required a sulfur hot tub for me and Tammy in a relaxed, warm, shaded-with-oak setting. Wine (red, central coast) is assumed.

The 2-year-old ring-bearer and the (shudder) butterfly release went off without a hitch. I know not how. The microphone difficulties seemed like breeze compared to cranky toddlers and hibernating insects.

To all who might require my eloquent services, please be advised, I'm retiring at the peak of my game. Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages, Vincent Jorgensen, is now an honorific title. I enjoyed it, and felt very humbled and honored to be a not insignificant part of my sister-in-law's transition from living-in-sin to living-in-wedlock. But I'm hanging up the silver tie. It was fun, and rewarding. Thanks to all for the opportunity to unite good loving couples in secular matrimony. It's now time to focus on my own marital bliss.

3 Comments:

At 8/18/07, 11:08 AM, Blogger marshlady said...

Oh neat! A major badge of honor, not many people can say they did this. I love the photo.

I think I have seen too much live theater lately though, shouldn't there be a comedia del arte guy running around? Or at least a double wedding with another former cross dresser?

 
At 8/29/07, 11:47 AM, Anonymous Terry C - Wingers R All Whackjobs said...

"My family feels I need to experience a full-blown American wedding."


In Las Vegas?

Performed by an Elvis impersonator?

 
At 9/6/07, 10:50 AM, Blogger Crinis said...

M: The rugrats provided much-needed comic relief (and headache). If only they had been trained at the Comédie-Italienne, then at least the jester hats would have made sense.

T: My family isn't the Vegas type. They like white dresses, tuxedos, and ornate receptions. As for myself, I wouldn't like a Vegas wedding, it's passé and nouveau at the same time. It's just dumping money into a side-arm of the wedding industry. I don't know what makes a truly tasteful anymore. If bride and groom are genuinely happy (and not told that they're happy b/c they endured 18 months of engagement hell culminating in a staged photo montage), then I guess that's a good wedding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)